"I never joined because nobody asked me to ..."
Workers are always stronger when they are united together within a union - but unions don't just happen by themselves.
We all have a reposnsibility to make our union strong, and to encourage our colleagues into the union family.
That's why it's so important to ask your colleagues if they are a member of the AWU. And if they're not - point them in the right direction!
The best way to get your colleagues to sign up is to simply have a discussion with them about why they aren't a member and the reasons they should join up.
Why workers should join the AWU
There are four key reasons why you can tell your colleagues they should join the AWU.
- Better wages and conditions - According the the Australian Bureau of Statistics union members earn on average 15% more than non union members.
- Protection you can rely on - If you get treated unfairly at work, the union is there to help you out.
- We've got to stick together - Workers are stronger when they are united, and weakest when they are divided. With more members, unions are more democratic, and there are more people to share the load.
- A position of strength - To be in a good bargaining position at our workplace, we need everyone to be in the AWU.
How to join
Joining the AWU is easy.
Your friends and colleagues can join by:
- Talking to their local AWU Delegate or Organiser;
- Ringing the AWU Members Hotline on 1300 885 653;
- Or using the on-line joining facility.